Saturday, March 22, 2014

Expectations

Expectations.

MY expectations?  Expectations of parents, children, spouse, boss, co-workers, employees, colleagues, acquaintances, pastors, institutions, government, the church, God . . . or the most challenging of all, myself.  Do I have expectations for each of these individuals/groups/institutions?  YES, an even more for myself.

THEIR expectations (any and all of the above plus anyone else you can think of, e.g. other drivers on the road, store clerks) of ME.  Are these real or  imagined?  Do I satisfy any of these expectations?

Should I care?  Do I care?  How much do I care?  Does my caring (or not) make any difference in the final analysis?  Does my caring about THEIR expectations affect my performance?  Unless I'm a complete sociopath, then YES it does affect my performance.

Does my caring about THEIR expectations affect my stress levels?  Do MY expectations affect my stress levels?  Again, unless I'm a sociopath, how could it not?

How then do I find balance among the ubiquitous expectations that surround me? that well up from within me?  that I feel press in upon me? with little hope that I can satisfy even a portion?

There is only one way, I go to the ROCK that is higher than I am.   Lord, from the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint, lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  (Psalm 61:2)  When I do this He lifts me out of the slimy  pit, out of the mud and mire; he sets my feet on a rock and gives me a firm place to stand (Psalm 40:2).  Hallelujah!  Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.  Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.  (Psalm 62:1-2)


No comments:

Post a Comment