Monday, March 18, 2013

iPad - making it a business tool - part 2

As I mentioned in part 1, I use Notability for taking notes and have been able to go basically paper free with this wonderful application.  One thing which contributes to that is finding the right stylus.  It has to make the connection to provide the same sense as writing with ink and paper, with the same legibility - which with my handwriting is saying a lot.

So far I've only tried out three different stylus. 
The first seemed the coolest.  It came to a fine point with a round disk which slid across the surface of the iPad.  This particular stylus worked fine IF you kept the angle relative to the iPad relative high, i.e. it needed to be as close to 90 degrees as possible for the best effect.  When you could work this way, the writing was great.  However, when you forgot, or relaxed and the angle decreased, so did the writing quality with skipped lines.  Also the disk floating on the surface eventually left enough marks on the screen protector I was using to actually make the entire screen look pretty nasty.  I never used it on the bare tablet screen and would be a little afraid to do so after what it did to the screen protector.  So, while it looked cool, this was definitely NOT what I needed.

This second stylus was the cheapest and definitely not fancy by any stretch of the imagination.  The writing surface was a rubbery black tip with a simple aluminum barrel with a clip and a top piece with a hole in it for attaching a connector.  I think the connector could be similar to a wrist band or even a plug which would fit in the headphone jack, although that did not come with the pen.  This worked well on the bare iPad screen, although at times it seemed to drag a bit.  On the screen protector you could definitely feel the drag.  Still that was usable and provided a constant line, no matter the angle at which the pen was held.  I thought I was going to be fine with this, although I did wish that the drag could be eliminated.  That brings me to the final pen I tried.


This is the Trueglide.  My version doesn't have the cord at the top and it is finished with a flat top.  The barrel is black aluminum with some decorative features near the pen end.  The amazing thing about this pen is how smoothly it writes.  This is the best experience.  No drag, smooth connected lines every time no matter the angle.  This stylus makes writing an actual joy and enhances my ability, and my desire, to go paperless.  The only thing I would change is the barrel width - it is a little narrow for my tastes.  However, it does have a clip similar to the pen above which works well with my iPad case and is definitely not bulky or obnoxious.  I really like this pen and unless someone gives me another one to try which can trump these qualities, I'm sold.

If you are going to make your iPad truly a business tool, you have to feel comfortable with your tools and I think the Trueglide stylus will do that for you.

Still you may have tried something else which you like - please feel free to write a comment to this post and share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment