Saturday, March 09, 2013

QBQ Book Study - Chapters 32 - 39

Continuing the study of QBQ by John Miller, looking at chapters 32-39.
 
I did attend the discussion for this section.  Again, the facilitator did a great job in summarizing the material and there was good interaction from the participants.  As I may have mentioned earlier, these sessions are being held "virtually" using web and phone conferencing with as many as 50-60 people in attendance at each session.  So far everyone I've spoken with has found the discussions helpful and this particular book a benefit to their lives.
 
These are the final chapters of the book and, although there is one final session for this study which summarizes the book, this is my last planned posting for this particular study.
 
Both in this session and the last session, the facilitators indicated they read the book at least once a year or even more often.  Certainly I have been reminded of important things as I have gone back through this study and re-read the book so I can see such repetition as a worthwhile endeavor.  I think even more so because of the subject of personal accountability seems to be one which so easily slips away from us without that reminder.

In chapter 32 Miller describes the cornerstone of leadership as being "humility."  Certainly that could have been inferred even in the first pages with the story of the manager who went to get a customer a drink at the request of his waiter.  Being humble in effect means a regard for others at least as high as that which you have for yourself, which translates into service.  When we understand that service toward others is not a lessening of ourselves (that is almost unAmerican! . . . . but decidedly Christian)  then we are on the road to true leadership.

I particularly resonated with the material in chapter 33 when Miller says "Leaders are not problem solvers."  I have a tendency to respond with answers and solve problems as a natural expression of my personality.  According to Miller and other leadership experts, it is crucial to restrain those impulses and instead unleash the creativity and capability of others in the organization to find solutions and learn how to fix problems.  This often entails suffering while there are mistakes and failures, but the end result is a stronger workforce with better skills.

Another nugget from this section states the difference between the "letter" of the QBQ and the "spirit" of the QBQ and the knowledge that the "spirit" has to trump the "letter."  The "spirit" of QBQ says:
  • No more victim thinking, procrastinating, or blaming.
  • I can only change me.
  • Take action!
This is a pretty good place to close this study.  These three points, along with an understanding of how to frame the right questions comprise the heart of the book.  I need to put them on a sticky note and stick it to my computer monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment