Tuesday, February 12, 2013

QBQ – book study – chapters 8-15



Continuing the study of QBQ by John Miller, looking at chapters 8-23.

Again the study facilitator did an excellent job in opening up the topics of these chapters and including everyone in the conversation.

Some of the things which stood out to me from the discussion and reading these chapters:

  • That there is often a sense of powerlessness by many employees who focus on “why” the leadership isn’t doing something different, e.g. communicating better, or “when” the leadership will take action.  According to Miller, “Questions that begin with ‘When’ lead to procrastination.”   Procrastination leads to stress and frustration which definitely leads to poor engagement and production.   However, the procrastination under question is not that of leadership, but of ourselves in asking “when” someone else will act and not engaging ourselves in finding the solution.

  • In my office on the wall I have a sign given to me by a friend which states “THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.”  I like this and ponder it often throughout my day.  Miller adds a thought which I think is a corollary:  SUCCEED WITHIN THE BOX.   This thought forces me to quit wishing for resources I may not have and instead examine other ways to use the resources I do have to get the job done.  It empowers me.

  • Another quote:  “We don’t need the ‘new’ thing or the ‘hot’ topic.  What we need to do is to practice the fundamentals – like personal accountability – day in and day out.”  This strikes me because I am often captured by the ‘new’ and know how easy it is to be distracted from the fundamentals.  Anything we can do to remind ourselves of getting back to the basics is welcome.

  • This study concludes with the emphasis of “who” questions focusing on blame . . . instead of on solutions.  “There’s not a chance we’ll reach our full potential until we stop blaming each other and start practicing personal accountability.”  I couldn’t agree more, but it is easier, and too often we chose easier instead of anything which might cause us to admit it our own actions which need addressing.

This continues to be a study which challenges me to be a better me.
Looking forward to the next section.

No comments:

Post a Comment