Friday, December 30, 2011

I know this is nerdy, but I was watching Green Lantern with my son over the holiday.  In the movie the hero wrestles with his fear and sense of inadequacy in the face of the need for someone to "stand in the gap."  Being fearless, he finds, is not the mark of the hero, but the ability to rise above fear, defined as courage.

Perhaps this is a good way to end the old year and start the new.  To resolve to be courageous, in spite of fear. Too many who could be leaders are trapped in their fear, afraid to take the risk of acting on their conviction.  Too many fail to show courage, to rise above their fear and act.  As I have written before, everything rises and falls on leadership, and I see a connection between leadership and courage.  I think this is especially true for those who are followers of Jesus Christ.

It is not imperative that I live, but that I love - that in spite of fear (courage) I choose to love for the sake of Christ, and that I lead wherever my influence extends with integrity and faith.  In this way we become heroes, albeit without the green spandex or the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment