Sunday, August 15, 2010

Resilient Leadership in the face of Vicissitude is the title of my presentation on September 22, 2010 for the HU Leadership Luncheon.    Vicissitude, of course, simply means change, although I think the word lends a sort of pernicious flavor to an already scary term.

The definition of resiliency I like best is "the ability to recover quickly" another is "buoyancy."  Whenever I think about this I remember comments made by my college instructors about pastors who never read anything to develop themselves professionally beyond sermon preparation.  Unfortunately, once in the ministry I ran into some who fit that description.

I share this with my students and anyone else who will listen.  Always be reading three books beyond those required for work:  A devotional book to help keep you spiritually grounded, a novel to help your brain disengage from stress, and a professional book which may not have immediate application but which someone at the top of your field would probably have read (if you can think of nothing in this category then read leadership books).

If you will follow this practice you will find your brain filling with ideas and your passion renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment