Monday, February 22, 2016

You Get to Choose.

I just read a great post about the way our brains are structured to lock in on the negative.   You can read the article: How to Remove Negativity From Your Life for Good.  

The information really struck home with me, particularly the TED talk video linked inside the article.  I can see how this has affected me and the conversations I've been a part of.  Typically I'm all about letting a person vent, thinking it is cathartic.   A lot of time I have joined in with my own negative comments.

 However, after reading the article and watching the video I think I need to become more focused on speaking forth a positive message and reminding people of the good that is already part of their lives. Not surprising, this is a biblical principle.  Paul reminds us in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

It is easy to slip into a gloom and doom mentality.  It is easy to see every small problem as a mountain of personal offence.  Blessed is the individual who will choose to see the good already present and be a light of hope for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment