Sunday, February 15, 2015

Using IFTTT to Become More Productive

I met with several professionals last week and during the conversation mentioned IFTTT.  I was shocked to discover that none of those present were aware of it, nor the amazing power it allows.  I've always been on the lookout for shortcuts and ways to automate functions that have to be repeated, e.g. macros in Excel.  IFTTT is the ultimate automation tool, and its FREE.

You can access IFTTT through the internet on your computer (IFTTT.com) or through an application on your smart phone.  Once you have an account set up the fun begins.  IFTTT uses "recipies" to describe its automation based on "If this (the trigger) then that (the target)."

There are an amazing number of recipies already built, such as:
  • If I post to twitter with the hashtag #fb, then post that tweet to facebook," or with the hashtag #in to Linkedin.
  • If I miss a phone call from a specific number, then send myself an email (or email the person whose phone call was missed).
  • If I update my contacts, then make a copy of the contact to a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
  • If I receive an email with an attachment, then save the attachment to dropbox.
It works with a variety of third party programs such as flckr, instagram, facebook, twitter, dropbox, googledocs, and many more.

I would go on but there are literally hundreds of recipies already built and it is easy to create your own for your own specific needs.  I've included a video from youtube below which describes how to use this with your smart phone.  IFTTT also works with some smart home products.

If you are not using this, then you are making more work for yourself than you need to, or missing a wonderful opportunity to be more effective, at the very least.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment