Sunday, February 23, 2014

Is this Leadership?

Gerald says, "Thank you all for coming to this required workshop.  Our first order of business will be to define the top three things which, if we don't get a handle on immediately, will hurt the company and maybe even bring us close to closing within a year or less."

Bill, standing in the back of a group of about nine, thinks, "Like I had a choice to be here!  In fact I've got so much work piled up right now I don't think I'll ever catch up and I have to take time out for this stupid workshop.  We did something like this last year and after all our talk nothing was done.  It was a complete waste of time."

Sheryl, standing near the front of the group, thinks, "I'm impressed that our boss wants our input on these items.  I can't wait to hear what the others have to say.  I know I can think of a couple of things right now that I've noticed need immediate attention."

Rick, says, "Gerald, so, who do you want to do this?  Are we brainstorming, working in small groups, or what?

Gerald responds, "Good question Rick.  Here's is the process we'll use.  First we'll identify the major areas which are part of our company in a quick brainstorm.  I figure there are about four or five of these but I could be wrong. Once those are identified, we'll put each area on the top of a large poster page and stick them to the wall.  Next we'll divide into groups and move from poster to poster with the sound of this chime.  Each group will work together and write on the poster the things they can think of that fit the description of critical activities that have to be solved within the next 12 months or less.  When the chime sounds we'll rotate clockwise to the next poster.  If your group wants to add to the list, simply write the new point down, if you have a comment about a point already there, i.e. you agree, disagree, or want clarification, use the sticky notes you were given when you came in.  Alright, let's get started."

some time later after 

Gerald, "OK, looks like we've got quite a few items to consider!  Since this took longer than I expected, I'll take all the posters and condense the information and let you know the results.  Thanks for taking the time to participate everyone, great meeting.  Did everyone try the trailmix that Betty made?"

Gerald got back to his office and thought, "this was a waste of time.  I could have identified the same things without wasting my time and everyone else's.  In fact, since the responses are so self-evident, I don't think I need to even try to compile all these notes and some of the handwriting is almost illegible anyway."

Nothing was passed back to the group and no mention of a focus on any major emphases was announced.  Everyone got back to business as usual.

You may say this can't happen but I can tell you the truth I've sat through this exact scenario more than once.
Is this leadership?  Have you experienced this?  Have you had a better experience?  Post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment