Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Employee Engagement

I've read a couple of articles recently on employee engagement (listed below) and I am coming more and more to believe that this issue is THE most pressing issue facing business at this time.

Leadership Development vs. Employee Engagement

Americans Hate Their Jobs, Even With Perks

How Salesforce and Deloitte Tackle Employee Engagement

If you've read my most recent posts then you will also know that I've recently read the 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace which also addresses this topic.

The question is:  Am I suddenly aware of this because of the reading I've done and elevated it to the top of my concern list?  OR Is this really that important?

My answer is that, YES, I think this is really that important.  In fact I think this is a spreading disease which is seriously affecting our country, a hidden epidemic, that is stealing away health and productivity.  What is the source?  How can it be treated?  Some of the items suggested in the articles above and even in the 5 Languages will no doubt help, however, I am beginning to wonder if the root cause is much deeper.

I was talking with a friend about this and likened it to a hidden elephant in the room which is not only NOT discussed, but also one which most are largely unaware even exists.  I am beginning to think this may have some connection to generational factors coupled with societal norms which have not been adequately studied  or applied to the business workforce.  By this I mean that until recently every generation has decried the "new" generation's work ethic, but over time that has evolved to approximately the same levels.  I say until recently because I think that what we are seeing are the usual complaints by the older generations about the newer ones, but without the same evolution . . . because their motivation has changed.

Is this similar to what happened in the 60's or is this something completely new?  If this is truly generational what will the long-term impact be?  Is there any way to "catch the wave" and capture the power of a new generation, or will we see business continue to struggle with productivity and this hidden elephant until we are forced into a drastic state.

Any thoughts on this?

1 comment:

  1. Rick,
    I agree with your assessment that it is an evolution of needs at work, and certainly organizations are behind the curve in meeting these needs and getting the most from us as employees. At the same time, I don't think we need to be alarmist - room for improvement? Sure. "THE most pressing issue" - maybe(depends on your organization). "a spreading disease"? No, it's not. I had to laugh when Gallup announced their latest measure of engagement and tried to create a chicken-little headline - but then also mentioned these are the highest scores they have seen. What gives?
    The important thing is to understand the dynamic inside your organization and to purposefully work on improving the culture.

    ReplyDelete