Wednesday, April 03, 2013

iPad - making it a business tool - part 4

I know in part 3 of this series I talked about cloud storage which I feel is important.

In this post I want to focus on a specific type of application which could be technically considered a cloud storage application, but in practical usage it is really one of the things which makes mobile devices amazing and true functionality across platform possible.

The type of application I'm talking about is a data aggregator.  In case you don't recognize what that means, I'm sure you will recognize some of the names in this list of applications below:


  • Evernote
  • SpringPad
  • Catch
  • Live Binders
  • Pearltrees
  • Pinterest
Each has a slightly different take on how to aggregate data, but the important point is that with these programs you can store all kinds of documents, spreadsheets, pdfs, pictures, audio, video, basically anything, in a place where you can easily search it, by key tag or title, or text, and find what you are looking for.  You can sort it into folders or keep all the files in one large list.  It doesn't matter, because you can always find what you are looking for.  And, at least in the case of Evernote, there are plugins for Outlook and your web browser which makes it incredibly easy to add emails and web pages to this aggregator.  Using another service found at www.ifttt.com I can set up automatic clipping of certain bogs to come into a specific folder in my Evernote I've titled Web Articles.

Most of these are free in their basic version, which is typically enough.  The thing which impresses me is that I can store key pieces of my life across my entire life and still have access to it, albeit I typically have to have a live internet connection to retrieve data, at least the first time.

Most of these applications cross platforms from PC, to iPad, to Android so that what is stored on one platform is available on the others as well.

You want to think of this like a Portfolio of information which you want to keep track of for the long haul, as well as storing other, more short-term information as well.

Another application which is somewhat similar that I've just started using is Google Keep.  So far, I'm finding this the perfect solution for short-term notes, lists, and reminders.

Find the one that is right for you - and then discipline yourself to use it - you will be pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment