Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I have read a number of books and articles on "how to succeed," and "what does success really mean."  Of course anyone can say how they believe true success should be defined, and just as often they are glad to tell you what success is, or should be for your life.  I think I've been that fount of questionable wisdom myself in the past.  Here are some things I think I have learned.
  1. You can define success any way you like, but there are always external measures which will be used to gauge your progress.  Even if you choose to ignore these measures someone will apply them and force them upon your awareness.  Rare is the individual, apart for what we want to believe, who sets their own standards and cares not for the opinion of at least one other person.  Generally these individuals wind up turning out to be sociopaths, or artists (including musicians), or both.
  2. Therefore, success is pretty much pre-defined in almost every aspect of our lives, within broad parameters.  This goes for work, marriage, parenting, and even our participation, or lack thereof, in organized religion.
  3. As it turns out this is not necessarily bad.  The bad part is not recognizing this and continually attempting to create one's own definition of success which denies this reality.  Few can do this with equanimity and those who are able to find some peace usually have loved ones who, at the very least, don't understand and at the worst suffer from the attempt to reconcile two different worlds.  I'm thinking here of the spouse or children of such an individual and the conflict this disparity will inevitability bring.  Conflict might be too mild a term.
  4. The broad parameters in which success is defined in any area of life, while bounded by rather firm, if permeable, boundaries allows the illusion of self-determination which is necessary for individualization and productivity that contributes to well being, both mental and physical.
  5. That being said, the identification of what constitutes success for me in any area has a clear measurement.  I may blithely ignore any attempt at defining these measures and so wander haphazardly through life, or, I can give thought and energy to setting the standard to which I will strive and give due effort in its accomplishment.  Depending upon my personality either avenue may give me peace or anxiety.
  6. I am of the personality which finds peace and fulfillment in setting the standards, making the vows, and working toward their accomplishment.  I feel this is fortunate since, especially in the world of work and business, that tendency is better rewarded than the other, more casual approach, however, it does not insure any more peace and may actually contribute to an unhealthy focus on doing instead of being, if one is not careful.
So, why include this commentary in a blog about leadership?  Because a leader should, I think, recognize that those they lead may not always understand success as they do, and thus their motives in following should be considered as part of the overall strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment