Tuesday, February 28, 2012


I'm currently reading Hannibal and Me: What History's Greatest Military Strategist Can Teach Us About Success and Failure by Andreas Kluth.  Although slow at points Mr. Kluth does a wonderful job of analyzing Hannibal's invasion of Italy to conquer Rome and relates that to various other individuals through out history demonstrating the strengths and weaknesses of Hannibal's leadership.  


I have found the descriptions in every case enlightening and Mr. Kluth's analysis to be thought provoking.  As I've been reading, I have many times caught myself pondering my own life in light of the examples and my own responses, or lack of response, which has turned my life into a new course.  That is, after all, what this kind of book is supposed to accomplish: to provoke us to think about our own choices and how we might possibly learn from the mistakes, or successes, of others.  


One of the particular lessons which is coming through is Hannibal's ability to remain undefeated in battle for 13 years, winning some of the bloodiest battles in recorded history, and yet, how he was unable to subdue Rome.  Winning battles, but losing the war.  It might be important to consider the difference in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment