Saturday, August 09, 2014

Holiness - What Do You Know of Holy?????

I grew up hearing holiness sermons, yet they seem rare today, why is that?

"One nationwide study from Barna Group found that "the concept of holiness baffles most Americans." When asked to describe what it means to be holy, the most common reply was "I don't know." Of those identified as "born again," only 46 percent believed "God has called them to holiness." The study concluded, "The results portray a body of Christians who attend church and read the Bible, but do not understand the concept or significance of holiness, do not personally desire to be holy, and therefore do little, if anything to pursue it."  This is an excerpt from How We Forget The Holiness of God" by Drew Dyck Click on the link to read the entire article - I highly recommend it.

A few years ago the group Addison Road recorded a song:  What Do I Know of Holy



This song echoes the message from the quote above, i.e. not many know what holiness is nor do they consider it important.  It seems to me that the doctrine which formed the foundation of the denomination I love and in which I have served for most of my life is being allowed to evaporate.  Is holiness simply too old fashioned a concept to be relevant today?  I don't think so, yet I have heard (unsubstantiated) that our colleges and seminary have so "mellowed" on this doctrine that even our Ministry graduates are left confused.

When was the last time you heard the term: Second Blessing Holiness?  Ever?  Lets get back to our foundation and recognize the awesome and terrifying God we serve.  Are we "Called Unto Holiness," or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment