Monday, June 11, 2012

Do you know your "job?"

I attended a different church yesterday morning.  I had been there a couple of times before; filled out the information card on at least two different occasions.   Did not receive any response from those cards.  The response of the people at this visit, like the previous ones, was lukewarm,  neither inviting, except for a VERY few, nor hostile; apathetic to my presence as a visitor seemed about right.  As I was leaving the service yesterday I intentionally waited until the pastor was by himself at the door and went up to greet him.  He responded with a handshake and then the conversation turned flat.  I mentioned the weather being nice, he agreed and that was that.  No question of who I was, where did I live, etc.  No mention of seeing me in the past or ANY effort to engage me at all.

So I wonder, does that pastor know what his "job" is? 

I'm sure this is a question which MUST be addressed by each of us.  I saw a sign coming into the office building at NAU last week.  It said:  "We are in the people improvement business."  I like that, but how does that play out in what I do, and how likely am I to get lost in my "work" and miss the focus of being in the people improvement business.  I heard a great story from a student graduating last Friday in Minneapolis about how NAU and the education she received has helped changed her life.  A living example of being in the people improvement business!!

Figure out what business you are in . . . and then act like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment