Tuesday, October 29, 2013

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell - book review

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell.  I just finished reading this book.  Honestly I found it, like all of Gladwell's books, to be thought provoking and I'm pretty sure it will take a while for the information to process inside my brain.

The  premise of the book looks at the disparity of the David (underdog) in contrast to Goliath (Giant - favored winner), and how things are not always what they seem.  I particularly liked the interpretation of the original story of David and Goliath.  Like most of Gladwell's books, I'm pretty sure I don't agree with all of the applications he makes from the foundation, there is plenty there to make you stop and think.

There is a connection here, for me at least, between how we perceive strength and weakness WITHIN the context of Family System's Theory.  By that I mean there is an interconnection within a system which understands that the part of the system with the least perceived power, is in fact the most powerful in the system or can be the most powerful, because of the impact upon the whole.  That may sound complicated but as you read through the various accounts in Gladwell's book it becomes obvious that what we have always understood as power and its application may actually be wrong.

I think this took a lot of strength to write and I am impressed with Gladwell for tackling a subject which forces us to literally come face to face with our humanity, and to do so in such an interesting and intriguing fashion.  On more than one occasion I found myself wondering how I would have responded and feeling uncomfortable with the truth I suspected.  It challenged my understanding of power and my response to, and use of power.

Get the book.  Read the book.  Find someone else who has read the book and Talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment