Thursday, September 11, 2014

Gratitude Challenge

My sister, Rita Stanley, recently completed a Gratitude Challenge on facebook where she was challenged to post daily for 10 days something for which she was grateful.  At the end of her challenge, she nominated me to accept the challenge.  Below are my 10 posts from facebook, although I didn't make them daily.  I did find that this challenge got me thinking about the many things for which I am truly grateful and helped me frame a perspective on my life that was helpful.

Perhaps you should start your own Gratitude Challenge through your network???

Day 1. I am grateful for the Grace of God. Without that grace I would be totally lost. I stumble along, trying, mostly, to live a life of love, but recognize that I often (daily?, hourly? every minute???) say or do things that hurt others, and sadden God. BUT HIS Grace is sufficient, and each day is new. Yes, I am so thankful and grateful for Grace that it brings tears to my eyes to think of it. Blessed be the Name of the LORD forever.

Day 2 (actually post 2 - I think I will have trouble posting daily)  I'm grateful to have been raised in a Christian home by godly parents who genuinely lived their faith. They made sure we were in church each week. They raised us to be responsible, hard working, and to know the difference between right and wrong. We were spanked when we needed it, encouraged to strive to excel, and praised when we deserved it. Most importantly, they loved us and showed it in many ways. There really isn't enough that could be said for the blessings I received from, and still receive, from their influence.

Day 3 - I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to go to college, parents willing to support that decision, and the perseverance (God's grace, again) to finish. I know this may sound trivial but that decision has opened doors in my life and I truly believe what I received there has enriched me, and hopefully others along the way. One of the greatest blessings to come from that opportunity was meeting and marrying the most wonderful woman in the world. May God be praised.

Day 4 - I'm grateful for the mentors who invested in my life, many without even knowing it through their books and material, starting with my Dad and Uncles while working in construction. Ellis would say, "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know" referring to building houses, and he was right, but along the way he, Bill and my Dad taught me a lot, about building, and also about being a man. Others would include Dave Kruse, John Conley, George Lyons, Ken Hendricks, Joe Brown, Neil Strait, Harold Henderson, Ron Shape, and many others. I'm still being mentored . . . and trying to pass it on by mentoring others.

Day 5 - I'm grateful for my health. I have had more opportunity that some to know the devastating effects poor health can have upon a person, and those they love. I also know the illusory and transient nature of "good health"; that it can change in the blink of an eye and through no fault of your own. Up to this point in my life I have experienced relatively good health, praise God, and I'm thankful for that for as long as it lasts.

Day 6 - I'm grateful for the adversity which has come into my life. Actually I HATE the adversity which has come into my life, but I have discovered that it has made me a better person, and for that I am grateful. Just out of college, most acquaintances and colleagues would have included four words to describe me: arrogant, opinionated, pompous, and jerk. Now, 30+ years later I think less than half would use those four words in describing me . . . a definite improvement!! Seriously, no one likes the hard things which come into their life but God knows us well and knows what we can stand and what we are capable of becoming. I'm grateful that God has trusted me enough to allow me some valleys to go through, and I'm especially grateful that He has walked through them with me.

Day 7 - I'm grateful to have a job. Even more than that, I'm grateful to have a job that I like, where I'm proud to work, that pays well, has benefits, and allows me to pay my bills. I've been unemployed and I've been employed at jobs where I hated going to work every single day. If I had to choose, I would take employed over unemployed, but to have a job and it be a good job is truly a blessing. I am fortunate to have people to work with who I enjoy being around, a supervisor who appreciates me and shows me respect, and work that is interesting and benefits others. Thank you, God for this great blessing of work.

Day 8 - I'm grateful for friends. I wouldn't dare try to mention specific names for fear of missing someone, but I can say that I have been blessed with many friends across the years who have touched my life and made me better. In some cases we have lost touch or gone down different paths in others we see each other rarely but when we do it is always as if we had never been apart. All of life can be reduced to relationships and I have been truly enriched by the friends who have shared themselves with me, for this I am grateful.

Day 9 - I'm grateful for family. I have practically perfect parents, simply super siblings (Ron & Pam, Rita & Trevor), nice nephews and nieces & their families, and ideal in-laws. I am grateful for each one. We've been a part of each others lives for decades now and I am blessed by each one. I'm grateful for my darling daughter, Erika Kathleen Upchurch, who is a constant delight, for sons who are both serious and silly upon occasion but always super: Richard Upchurch (with great girlfriend Morgan Alcorn) & Brandon Upchurch (with wonderful wife, Karen).  It is said you don't get to choose your family and I suppose that is true, but if I did get to choose, this is the family I would choose.

Day 10 - I'm grateful for my wife, Mary Margaret. We met on the first day I started at Olivet Nazarene College (now University) in September 1974. We didn't immediately hit it off but that soon changed. Now we've been married 38 years. MM is my best friend. Her love for me is unwavering, she supports me completely, and has gladly joined me as we have moved around the country all with the patience of a saint. I am blessed that God brought her into my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment