Saturday, January 16, 2010

A couple of years ago I took the "strengths finder" survey after reading the book by Marcus Buckingham.  It identified the top 5 strengths which, according to the survey, make me, me.  Buckingham's premise is that we should spend more time in the area of our strengths instead of struggling so hard to bring all of our "low" up.  Of course there are certain areas where we all have to be proficient (emotional intelligence comes immediately to mind) but overall I have found this survey and the results to be excellent indicators of how an individual will actually perform in the work environment.

It is useful for me to know my own strengths (strategic, analytical, input, learner, responsibility) so that I can better understand myself and focus on further developing these strengths.  This makes me more self-aware and more able to effectively interact in my world.  It makes me a better husband, father, worker, and leader.  I would even go so far that becoming more self-aware even makes me a better Christian.

It is also useful to know the strengths of those with whom I work.  It allows me to better position them in the "seats on the bus" for a better functioning team.  It helps me understand why some disagreements arise, and suggests ways to manage the differences.

All in all, I would have to say this is definitely a worthwhile experience and highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment